APM UCD-220AF, Procedure 1
In this Policy
Appointment and Promotion
Section UCD-220AF, Academic Federation Review and Advancement
Procedure 1, General Procedure for Merit and Promotion
|Dean||1. Compiles list of those eligible for merit increase and promotion; forwards list to departments for verification and to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
2. Consults with candidate regarding preparation of review file; if applicable, solicits letters of evaluation; notifies Dean--Graduate Studies to prepare comments on service of candidates who are graduate group chairs (see Section UCD-245B).
Note: See detailed sequential checklist of department chair's duties and responsibilities. Checklists for specific titles (http://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/resources/forms_checklists/index.html) provide guidelines for preparation of supporting documentation. See Exhibit B for a model format for letters soliciting extramural evaluations for promotions.
3. Provides copy of redacted extramural letters to candidate and informs candidate that he/she has the option to submit a rebuttal letter within 10 calendar days from date of receiving copies of redacted extramural letters.
4. Submits candidate's dossier to approved peer group for comment.
5. Makes dossier and peer-group comments available to approved voting group who subsequently vote.
6. Prepares departmental evaluation/recommendation letter; obtains review of letter by voting faculty; provides candidate with copies of all non-confidential documents.
7. Informs candidate of right to submit a rejoinder to the departmental recommendation within 10 calendar days from date of receipt of department letter.
8. Obtains Candidate's Disclosure Certificate from candidate that verifies that he/she has reviewed the file.
9. Forwards complete review file to dean.
Note: If candidates wish to submit items requiring special handling, e.g., valuable books, art objects, or recordings, they should be clearly labeled as such and should be accompanied by separate Inventory Control Receipt.
|Dean--Graduate Studies||10. Forwards comments on graduate group chair service to dean of college/school/division.|
|Dean||11. Assures that review file is in compliance with established policies and procedures and assembled in established format for evaluation.|
The following steps apply when the approval authority for the action has been delegated to the dean (refer to the Delegations of Authority).
|Dean||12. Submits the proposed action directly to appropriate personnel committee.|
|Personnel committee||13. Evaluates review file and makes recommendation to dean.|
14. Makes final decision; at dates specified by the Vice Provost, sends announcement to department chair, with comments.
Note: When dean's final decision is different from recommendation of personnel committee, reasons for the decision must be included in dean's comments.
15. Transmits final decision and copy of reviewers' comments. This should be done in writing to document date of notification.
16. If the action is denied, has candidate sign Candidate's Certification indicating he/she has received reviewers' comments; sends form to dean.
|Dean||17. Forwards completed dossiers to Vice Provost.|
The following steps apply when the approval authority for the action is the Vice Provost--Academic Personnel or the Chancellor.
|Dean||18. Evaluates review file and writes evaluative recommendation letter; forwards review file to Vice Provost.|
|Vice Provost||19. Assures that review file is in compliance with established policies and procedures; forwards review file to appropriate personnel committee.|
The following steps apply if ad hoc committee is required for review; if not required, go to Step 26.
|Personnel committee||20. Evaluates review file; forwards ad hoc committee nominations to Vice Provost.|
|Vice Provost||21. Appoints ad hoc committee; forwards list of ad hoc committee members to personnel committee.|
|Ad hoc committee chair||22. Obtains review file from Academic Senate Office; circulates review file to members.|
|Ad hoc committee||23. Reviews file; meets and discusses file; makes recommendation.|
|Ad hoc committee chair||24. Drafts final report; returns report and review file to Academic Senate Office.|
|Personnel committee staff||25. Prepares final ad hoc committee report; obtains signatures of ad hoc committee members following their review of report; forwards report to personnel committee.|
|Personnel committee||26. Reviews file and ad hoc committee report; discusses and votes on recommendation; writes recommendation; forwards file and recommendation to Vice Provost.|
27. Reviews ad hoc and personnel committee reports and reviews file; makes decision; if Chancellor has the final decision authority (e.g., promotion to Associate rank in equivalent titles), forwards file and written review/comments to Chancellor (or Regents).
28. Transmits final decision, with reviewer comments, to the dean.
Note: When final recommendation of the Vice Provost/Chancellor is different from the recommendation of the personnel committee, the reasons for the recommendation must be included in the letter to the dean.
|Dean||29. Informs department chair of final decision, with reviewer comments.|
30. Transmits final decision and copy of reviewers' comments to candidate. This should be done in writing to document date of notification.
31. If action is denied, has candidate sign Candidate's Certification indicating he/she has received reviewers' comments; sends form, through dean's office, to Vice Provost.