In this Policy
Appointment and Promotion
Section UCD-220B, Academic Review Process--Appointments
The purpose of this section is to outline UCD policy and procedures for appointment of academic personnel (professorial series and equivalent). This section augments Section UCD-220A, Academic Review Process--General Policy and Procedures.
Procedures for academic appointments are governed by the provisions of affirmative action policy set forth in Section UCD-500, Academic Recruitment Guidelines. These guidelines are intended to integrate affirmative action into regular recruiting procedures for academic positions. Departments and recruiting/search committees are expected to make every effort to seek a diversified pool of candidates that includes women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities. Each academic recruitment must be undertaken with a full and open recognition of the need to maintain the high standards of the University of California.
Review procedures and the role of the dean or the dean's designee vary among colleges and schools. The following procedures generally describe the appointment process that precedes the review process outlined in Section UCD-220A. See Exhibit A for a checklist used in appointment review files. See Exhibit B for streamlined processes.
|Department||1. Develops search plan according to guidelines in Section UCD-500.|
|Dean or dean's designee||2. Reviews plan; makes recommendations for any necessary changes; approves plan; notifies Vice Provost--Academic Affairs.|
3. Conducts search; maintains appropriate records.
4. Institutes normal review procedures as outlined in Section UCD-220A.
5. Selects candidate; if candidate is non-U.S. citizen, consults with Services for International Students & Scholars.
6. Completes Recruitment Report (see Section UCD-500) and appointment review file.
7. Forwards Recruitment Report and appointment review file to dean.
For Redelegated Actions
|Dean or dean's designee|
8. Reviews and approves Recruitment Report.
9. Submits review file to CPC/DPC/SPC for review; makes final decision; notifies department chair.
10. Forwards approved Recruitment Report and approved appointment review file to Vice Provost--Academic Affairs.
For Non-Redelegated Actions
|Dean or dean's designee||11. Submits approved Recruitment Report to Vice Provost--Academic Affairs for final approval; submits review file and recommendation with Recruitment Report.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Affairs||12. Proceeds with normal review procedures as outlined in Section UCD-220A, beginning with Step 23.|
A. Academic Personnel Manual:
2. Section UCD-220A, Academic Review Process--General Policy and Procedures.
B. Office of the Provost: Annual Call for Merit Increases and Promotions and for Appraisals. (Issued in June.)