APM UCD-220, Procedure 1
In this Policy
Appointment and Promotion
Section 220, Academic Senate Review and Advancement
Procedure 1, Appraisal, Merit, Promotion, and Preliminary Assessment
|Dean||1. Compiles list of those eligible for appraisal, merit increase, and promotion; forwards list to departments for verification and to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
2. Consults with candidate regarding preparation of review file; if applicable, solicits letters of evaluation; notifies Dean--Graduate Studies to prepare comments on service of candidates who are graduate group chairs (see Section UCD-245B).
Note: See detailed sequential checklist of chair's duties and responsibilities. Other checklists provide guidelines for preparation of supporting documentation. See Exhibit B for instructions pertaining to language required when letters of evaluation are solicited or when letters are received unsolicited and for model formats for letters.
3. Provides copy of redacted extramural letters to candidate and informs candidate that he/she has the option to submit a rebuttal letter within 10 calendar days from date of receiving copies of redacted extramural letters.
4. Consults with faculty, who meet, discuss candidate's record, and subsequently vote (Exhibit A).
5. Prepares departmental evaluation/recommendation letter; obtains review of letter by voting faculty; provides candidate with copies of all non-confidential documents.
6. Informs candidate of right to submit a rejoinder to the departmental recommendation within 10 calendar days from date of receipt of department letter.
7. Obtains Candidate's Disclosure Certificate from candidate that verifies that he/she has reviewed the file.
8. Forwards complete review file to dean.
Note: If candidates wish to submit items requiring special handling, e.g., valuable books, art objects, or recordings, they should be clearly labeled as such and should be accompanied by separate Inventory Control Receipt.
|Dean--Graduate Studies||9. Forwards comments on graduate group chair service to dean of college/school/division.|
|Dean||10. Assures that review file is in compliance with established policies and procedures and assembled in established format for evaluation.|
The following steps apply when the approval authority for the action has been delegated to the dean (refer to the Delegations of Authority).
|Dean||11. Submits the proposed action directly to college/division/school faculty personnel committee (FPC).|
|FPC||12. Evaluates review file and makes recommendation to dean.|
13. Makes final decision; at dates specified by the Vice Provost, sends announcement to department chair, with comments.
Note: When dean's final decision is different from recommendation of FPC, reasons for the decision must be included in dean's comments.
14. Transmits decision (in writing) to candidate with copy of reviewers' comments.
15. If the action is denied, has candidate sign certification form indicating he/she has received reviewers' comments; sends form to the dean.
|Dean||16. Makes final decisions and forwards completed dossiers to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost||17. Forwards dossiers and copy of dean's notification list to the Academic Senate office for postaudit by Committee on Academic Personnel (CAP).|
|CAP||18. Following postaudit, returns completed actions to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel as the office of record.|
The following steps apply when the approval authority for the action is the Vice Provost--Academic Personnel/Chancellor.
|Dean||19. Evaluates review file and writes evaluative recommendation letter and forwards review file to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel||20. Assures that review file is in compliance with established policies and procedures; forwards review file to CAP.|
If ad hoc committee is required for review:
|CAP||21. Evaluates review file; forwards ad hoc committee nominations to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel||22. Appoints ad hoc committee; forwards list of ad hoc committee members to CAP.|
|Ad hoc committee chair||23. Obtains review file from Academic Senate Office, circulates review file to members.|
|Ad hoc committee||24. Reviews file, meets and discusses file, makes recommendation.|
|Ad hoc committee chair||25. Drafts final report; returns report and review file to Academic Senate Office.|
|CAP staff||26. Prepares final ad hoc committee report; obtains signatures of ad hoc committee members following their review of report; forwards report to CAP.|
|CAP||27. Reviews file and ad hoc committee report; discusses, and votes on recommendation; writes report of recommendation to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel; forwards file and recommendation to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel|
28. Reviews ad hoc and CAP reports and reviews file; makes decision; if Chancellor has the final decision authority (e.g., for tenure cases), forwards file and written recommendation letter to Chancellor (or Regents).
Note: When final recommendation of the Vice Provost is different from recommendation of personnel committee, reasons for the recommendation must be included in the letter to the dean.
29. Transmits final decision, with reviewer comments, to the dean.
|Dean||30. Informs department chair of final decision, with reviewer comments.|
31. Transmits final decision and copy of reviewers' comments to candidate. This should be done in writing to document date of notification.
32. If action is denied, has candidate sign Certification form indicating he/she has received reviewers' comments; sends form, through dean's office, to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel|
1. Makes preliminary assessment to deny promotion to Associate rank.
2. Notifies department chair (with copy to the dean).
3. Provides comments of all reviewers.
Note: Responses from all parties are due in 14 calendar days from date of notification to the department.
4. Reviews responses from department chair and candidate; submits written recommendation for action to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel||5. Forwards review file to CAP for reconsideration.|
|CAP||6. Reconsiders case and submits recommendation to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel||7. Reviews personnel committee recommendation and reviews file; sends recommendation to Chancellor.|
|Chancellor||8. Makes final decision; returns to Vice Provost--Academic Personnel.|
|Vice Provost--Academic Personnel||9. Notifies dean.|
|Dean||10. Notifies department chair.|